Monday, February 01, 2010

Wood for knitting sheaths

The traditional wood for for making knitting sheaths was "sycamore".  I had been looking for sycamore, and the American sycamore that I had been finding was not suitable.. 

The deal is: English sycamore is very similar to America soft maple. Sycamore from Scotland and Yorkshire is more similar to the harder American maples.

Thus, maple, and particularly rock or sugar maple, is an excellent wood for knitting sheaths.
Two Yorkshire style knitting sheaths made from rock maple.

Every time I use "goose wing" knitting sheaths, I am amazed at how well they work for gloves, hats, and other small knitting when tucked into apron strings  I love them.

My thanks to Chris at Robert Sorby.

2 comments:

remclave said...

Aaron, the sheath you made is beautiful! I can easily see how it mounts to the apron string or even a belt. I hope eventually to be able to acquire a setup to play around with. Increasing my speed as well and improving my tension are goals I am always striving for.

hyperactive said...

Hello!
I just want to leave a comment here, because I stumbled across your blog when researching on knitting belts and sheath for my blog. (hyperactiveknitting.blogspot.com) I linked to your blog and I hope you are ok with that. And I also hope that a lot of people will browse your blog in detail!
Thanks for providing so much information!