Friday, March 06, 2015

And if people cannot understand climate science

This year California Agriculture will get none of their Federal water allotment and only 10 to 15% of their state water allotment.  California Agriculture is on the verge of drying up and blowing away.

In the past California had a larger dairy industry than Wisconsin. And a larger beef industry than Oklahoma.   This means that all the voters that voted for politicians who do not understand climate change (e.g.,Jim  Inhofe,  Scott Walker) will pay more for all of their food starting NOW.

Climate change is making the drought worse, and raising food prices right now.

Most Americans accept climate change and want to do something about it. As these people realize that denialists are costing them money right now, they are going to turn on the denialists.   I expect the argument to get fierce and rude.  The denialists will rightfully be called fools, liars, and worse.

That leaves me with the question of,  "What should I call those who deny the virtues of my knitting and spinning?'  My first thought was "Wooly Heads", but that is a not strict correct ethnophaulism.

My cell phone decided the answer for me.  Despite its little knit covers, when it gets cold, its battery life is short. There is no reason in the world for me to waste limited time talking to people who do not want to understand. 

I need to go back to my old policy of selecting my students with care.  I need to remember the example of Dr. Long.  Before he would issue the card required to take Chem 110, he asked each of us if we knew calculus.  The correct answer to the first quiz on the first reading assignment was; "There is an error in the math in the assigned text." 466 of 500 students flunked out  --  on the second day of class. They studied the text and repeated the error on the quiz.  It was just as well, it was the easiest test that he gave us all year long.  I need to let more students just flunk out.

8 comments:

purplespirit1 said...

You seem to have a 'my way or no way' sensibility when it comes to your knitting and spinning. If someone comes along and disproves what you stated, or have a difference of opinion, why is it that they're bullying you? Is it possible that sometimes you may be wrong, or for reasons not entirely credible?

Aaron said...

The difference between us is that I have tried all the standard versions of knitting that you do, and I went on to find something better.

What you miss is that whenever I see a better way, I grab it. If you show me a better way, I will drop what I do, and grab the better way.

You have never come forth with a better way.

purplespirit1 said...

How do you know that my knitting or spinning hasn't evolved? Because I don't knit sweaters on dpn's, it must mean that I'm not knitting as well as you? Because I'm not using a sheath, my knitting must not be as even as yours? Because I'm not spinning exactly as you do, the yarn I produce isn't as warm as yours? What evidence do you have to back any of that up?

Holin K. said...

You've tried all of the "standard" versions of knitting? Really? ALL OF THEM? Aaron, if you lived to be 150, you wouldn't be able to do that. Didn't your parents teach you that telling porkies is a no-no.

Aaron said...

There may be a large number of subtle variations in ways to knit, but the mechanics can be reduced to variations on a few themes. With diligence, analysis and focus, all the themes can be learned, and compared in a few thousand hours.

The "Terrible Knitters of Dent" taught their knitting technique to their new workers and expected them to become proficient in less than 6 weeks - that is 300 hours.

Evaluations of a knitting technique may not require mastery of the technique, but only require performing the technique well enough to understand what the technique can do well, and what it does not do well. With due consideration of mechanics, physics, physiology and ergonomics, competence in a knitting technique can be achieved in 300 hours that is 4 hours per day for 3 months.

If one understands Eastern and Western and Combination stitch mounting, then one can do it holding the yarn in either the right or the left hand, so that is two techniques, not 6.

Knitting and purling with the yarn in the left hand, with all 3 stitch mountings is 1 technique, not 6. Eastern Cross Stitch is a stitch, not a knitting technique. I know at least four knitting techniques that will produce Eastern Cross Stitch quickly and easily. How many do you know?

There are a very limited number of different physical processes involved in the various knitting techniques and most of them are tied to knitting with a knitting sheath.

Now, what did your parents teach you about doing your homework and getting your facts straight? I know, and am highly proficient in, half a dozen very different and unique styles of knitting that use and require various kinds of knitting sheaths or knitting pouches. How many of the knitting sheath techniques are you highly proficient in?

Holin K. said...

I use a knitting pouch for much of my knitting, Aaron, so trying that ploy will not work on me. In fact, I bought some needles from you before you crashed and burned your Etsy site with poor reviews. Back then, you actually had something sensible to say now and again. Recently, it's been all hot air from you. Enough to fly a hot air balloon across the Atlantic and back again.

The number of techniques I know has nothing to do with your statement that you have tried ALL the "standard" versions of knitting. Stop trying to deflect the criticism of your factual error by challenging me on my knowledge. I can spot a lie faster than you can strap on your knitting sheath, and your statement is, as usual, inflated and untrue.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Universal Knitting Guild which sets a worldwide "standard" of techniques. There are innumerable regional variations and combinations, and you cannot possibly have tried them all.

Surely your science and math teachers discouraged you from making blanket statements, particularly in the absence of proof? Prove it, Aaron, or it didn't happen.

Aaron said...

So, Ruth, if we are to avoid distinctions without a difference, then every knitting method must have a distinct set of physical principles. All methods with the same physical principals, and ergonomics are substantially the same.

Now what knitting methods or techniques with different physical principles have I neglected?

I sat down with a big bin of yarn and a bunch of needles and I went through all the standard texts on knitting and the lists knitting methods on Ravelry - looking for a better way to knit. I was willing to practice a particular method for weeks or months but nothing really showed promise.

In retrospect that was because they all had to same physics. In order to get the fabrics that I wanted, I had to go to methods that used other physics.

Aaron said...

What tools do you use?

If you are not using a knitting sheath you do not have as much leverage and the knitting process is not as stable.

You cannot make the best cell phone without the right tools. You cannot do the best knitting without good tools.